maandag 10 februari 2014

Perfectionist

I have been postponing my first blog post for a while. First I thought it had to be because I'm new, unsure what to write, and so on. After thinking about it for awhile - an action I tend to do a lot - I figured it out. The ugly truth is: I am a Perfectionist with a capital P.

per·fec·tion·ism  (pər-fĕk′shə-nĭz′əm)1. A propensity for being displeased with anything that is not perfect or does not meet extremely high standards.
2. A belief in certain religions that moral or spiritual perfection can be achieved before the soul has passed into the afterlife.

There it is. The first one at least. I have the need to execute everything in perfection. After the initial shock -Who, me? A perfectionist? One of these uptight compulsive freaks? - I let the word sink in. I realized how much of my daily life is being influenced by my need to have everything in order.

A few of the things I caught myself doing
1. Hanging the laundry precisely with the seams on the side, not an inch beside it.
2. Therefor: not appreciating when my roomie hangs up my laundry because she doesn't do it like I do.
3. I cannot study or actually do anything productive when it is messy in the living room/ kitchen or my bedroom. I feel so unease.
4. I love when people announce when they will visit me so I can tidy the whole place.
5. If my outfit isn't perfectly colour matching or not right I will change it no matter how late I already am - which usually leads to confused looks from my boyfriend.
6. When I make grammar mistakes I always correct them - even if I'm drunk...
7. I can spend hours picking a nice font, lay-out and colour for a report or a presentation.
8. I even enjoy re-folding my clothes so it looks pretty in my wardrobe again.
9. If my home decorations are a few inches moved by my cat Lily I put them back.
10. I could go on for hours, but you would start to hate me after one post. Last but not least: I have put off posting anything on this blog because the lay-out is not how I wish to see it yet. There it is!

Do you recognize yourself in any of my bad habits? Or do you have any compulsive habits of your own that sound a awfully lot like perfectionism?


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten